August 6, 2008
Via MangaBlog, we have news of the Anime Almanac going a month without fansubs. Thanks to Netflix, FUNimations YouTube channel, and iTunes, the writer has a stress-free, very cheap month that includes 97 episodes of anime total, with an average of three episodes a day at sixty cents an episode.

So in my month without fansubs, I found out that I was able to watch over 90 episodes of anime using only completely legal methods, and I didn’t even end up poor because of it. With so many free and affordable options available, I never felt the need to go back to downloading fansubs. In fact, I found the experience to be personally liberating by relieving myself of the stresses created by the fansubbing community and exploring so many great shows of years past.

But most of all, I was no longer being hypocritical by saying I was going to make up for downloading a fansub by buying the DVD, and then never following through on that promise. By always making my initial viewing supported by either micro-paying DVD rentals, paying less for legal downloads, or simply watching an ad-supported free video over the internet, I was always supporting the artists and the industry even without buying an expensive DVD at full price.
It's not terribly surprising that there's so much white market material out there, at good prices, but the return to simple pleasures is the part of post that I really appreciate. The chance to watch on a big, flat screen (from a couch! not a task chair!) and the opportunity to rediscover "older" shows without the stress of having to appear fashionable, are something that's easy to forget in the rush to find new titles. But the truth is that there's now more legitimate anime out there than there has ever been before, and if we want to see that trend continue then we have to vote with our dollars (or, in this case, our sixty cents) and support that.

Labels: ,

Comments:
Honestly, the drive to be cool (getting to something first, or having the rarest edition, or whatever) never appealed to me, since I like exploring old anime as much as the new. I'd like to think that more people will take the original message the same way you did, and realize the important thing is the enjoyment of anime, and fair compensation to the people who brought it to you.
Ok here is why most people watch fansub, it is because all LEGAL anime that is avaiable online has been braodcasted on network Tv. What we want to see is the latest available only in Japan. IF they offered it (which they dont, unless you know Japanese) we would buy the episode. However since they dont sell subed epsidoes of the popular anime (naruto/bleach) that is current in the storyline, then we have no alternative. That being said I watch BOTH the fansubed and local versions. So in a way I am still supporting the artists cause I help ensure high ratings which transalte in to ad money. Just my 2 cents
But Naruto and Bleach are released in subtitled forms -- just, as you say, not current. In short, the only reason to watch a fansub from either series is if you don't want to wait.

Everyone has different priorities, but I would rather wait for the subtitled version and watch something else, rather than watch the same thing twice.


> Search
> Site Archives
> Blog Archives
> Upcoming Releases
> RSS Feeds