August 1, 2008
The Pixar Blog has posted 5 new images from the upcoming film, Up. If you don't work for Pixar and didn't attend the San Diego Comic Con, chances are you haven't seen these yet. Click on over to view them all in giant, decent-res glory!
Link: The Pixar Blog
Previously on fps:
Up Sneak Peek
July 30, 2008
I've been remiss in posting about a comic book project called Who Is Rocket Johnson? The anthology brings together numerous Disney artists and directors to help raise money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Besides looking great, it's for a great cause.
One copy sold on eBay for over 500 dollars, and the rest of the limited print run of 1000 copies were made available at the San Diego Comic Con for $20. If you still want to get your hands on a copy, get in contact with Stuart Ng in California or The Labyrinth in Toronto while quantities last!
Hero Complex, the LA Times geek blog, posted some pictures for those of us who can't make it to the San Diego Comic Con of a display of maquettes from Coraline, Henry Selick's 3D stop-motion feature, based on the young adult novel by Neil Gaiman.
Amid Amidi of Cartoon Brew and Harry McCracken of Harry-Go-Round have both commented on the San Diego Comic Con preview of footage from Up and Bolt. Take a look at this teaser for Up.
Original Video- More videos at TinyPic
July 15, 2008
Short Takes: Speed Racer DVD, Black Panther Animated, Sony's 3-D Digital Feature, Live-Action/Animation Hybrid, Animation Secrets of Wall-E
- The classic Speed Racer animated series will finally be available as a box set on October 7th from Lionsgate. There is a mysterious 6th disc included in the collection which we're hoping will contain the bonus features sorely lacking on the individual DVDs. Via tvshowsondvd.com
- BET Networks and Marvel Animation have announced the impending arrival of a Black Panther animated series. A sneak preview will be screened at the San Diego Comic Con on July 26th. Via marketwatch.com
- Sony Pictures Animation is preparing to release it's premiere stereoscopic 3-D digital effort: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Via hollywoodreporter.com
- Live-action/animation hybrid, Go Girl has been greenlit for Canadian animation channel, Teletoon. Casting will take place via a Facebook events page and YouTube submissions. Via vfxworld.com
- Directing animator, Angus Lane shares insight into the animation process behind the film, Wall-E. via ign.com
July 14, 2008
Who missed the point here? Did someone at Marvel assume that kids wouldn't see or wouldn't remember the story of this summers smash hit Iron Man film? Is there anyone on the planet who feels that Tony Stark would be a more compelling human being at the age of 16? Has the concept of well executed exploitation of a successful brand gone by the wayside at the House of Ideas?
Allow me to add further skepticism by pointing out the below-par cel-shaded model animation on display in the trailer above.
I'll reserve final judgment until my 8 year old nephew has the chance to sink his teeth into this series.
Iron Man: Armored Adventures will be screening and supported by a panel at the San Diego Comic Con on July 26th at 10AM.